The Help Desk

Your tough questions. MONEY's smart answers.
Presented by

I'm on Social Security. What if I take a new job?

June 1, 2013: 6:30 AM ET

I'm 62 and just went on Social Security. If I take a high-paying job, what should I do? — Charlie Hadden, Clarkston, Mich.

Repay the money and withdraw your claim. Do it within a year of filing; you can reapply later, qualifying for higher benefits.

In case you can't or don't want to repay the money, tell Social Security about your job so your benefits can be adjusted. Before you reach the year of your full retirement age, the checks you're due are reduced $1 for every $2 you earn over a limit that's now $15,120; a hefty salary would cut your payments to zero. When you reach full retirement age, each month of unreturned checks will cut your permanent benefits about half a percentage point, says Robert Bruce, author of Social Security Inside Out.

Married? Definitely return the cash: Otherwise, dying before age 66 could cut your widow's survivors benefits up to 17.5%.

— Beth Braverman

Got a question for the Help Desk? Send it to

Posted in: Retirement, Taxes
  • Can my 11-year-old open an IRA?

    My 11-year-old earns money umpiring baseball games. Can he open an IRA? Will it affect his college aid? — Rick Gross, Avon, Conn.

    Assuming Junior is willing, a Roth IRA (which grows and can be tapped tax-free) is a home run. In 2013 he can put in the lesser of $5,500 or his earned income. Does he earn just a few hundred dollars? You'll need a firm with a low minimum, such MORE

    May 18, 2013 6:30 AM ET
  • Should I invest in real estate overseas?

    What are the advantages and disadvantages of real estate investments overseas? —DANIEL L., New York City

    Direct investment in foreign property, be it a mall or a second home, is a risky proposition. Sure, you could nab greater gains than in the U.S., should you be smart, knowledgeable, and lucky. But noncitizens can face extra expenses and red tape, and back in the U.S., you're subject to complex investment rules, warns Rapid MORE

    May 11, 2013 6:30 AM ET
    Posted in: Investing, Real Estate, Taxes
  • How can I avoid state taxes if I retire overseas?

    If I retire overseas, can I lower my taxes by declaring residency in any state I want? — C. Czuchna, Gainesville, Va.

    Not quite. You can't just declare residency; you have to live there before taking off. Steps to show you've really moved to the no-income-tax state of your dreams (such as Florida, Nevada, or Texas): buying a home (and selling your old one), getting a driver's license, and registering to vote.

    Do MORE

    Apr 27, 2013 6:30 AM ET
    Posted in: Retirement, Taxes
  • Can I use 401(k) money tax-free to buy a home?

    Can I take money tax-free from my 401(k) for a down payment on a home? — Dev Ananth, Plano, Texas

    You may be able to pull money out, but you can't avoid taxes. And that's not the only downside.

    Most plans let you borrow half of your savings, or $50,000 (whichever is less); you'll repay that with after-tax dollars — not the untaxed dollars you contributed originally. Leave your job without repaying and MORE

    Apr 13, 2013 6:30 AM ET
  • Must I report interest on a loan to my child?

    I have made a formal loan to my adult child. Do I have to report the interest I receive as income? — J.H., Texas

    Yes, interest you earn on a personal loan is taxable and should be reported to the IRS. The figure goes on line 8a of your 1040; if all your taxable interest income in a year exceeds $1,500, you also have to file Schedule B, which records interest and MORE

    Apr 6, 2013 6:30 AM ET
    Posted in: Family Money, Taxes
  • Which contributions come out of my IRA first?

    I put tax-deductible and nondeductible money in my IRA. What comes out first? — Duane Hoffmeyer, Mesa, Ariz.

    Most money in traditional IRAs comprises tax-deductible contributions and any account earnings over the years, all of which is taxable when you pull the money out. You evidently also made nondeductible, after-tax contributions, which exit your IRA tax-free.

    To answer your question, the funds come out simultaneously. Add up your after-tax contributions. The percentage of MORE

    Mar 31, 2013 3:17 PM ET
    Posted in: Retirement, Taxes
  • Can I cut property taxes by reducing my home's usable space?

    I own a home in Connecticut. I'm currently paying taxes on rooms that I don't use or need. For instance, I finished a bonus room over my garage and fifth bedroom in my attic with heat and sheetrock. Can I "unconvert" these unnecessary rooms to lower my property taxes? – Debra L.

    Yes, you can — but it may not make sense to do so. As Newton Buckner, partner at Hartford, MORE

    Dec 28, 2012 6:30 AM ET
    Posted in: Real Estate, Taxes
  • Will I owe tax if I buy my sister a house?

    I want to pay cash to buy my sister a $110,000 house where she can live in retirement. Should I title it in her name, my name, or both her name and mine? What are gift tax or other tax consequences? We are both in Ohio. — Frank M.

    Ultimately the decision of whether or not you give a house to your sister is a personal one. But Gerald Townsend, a MORE

    Dec 27, 2012 6:30 AM ET
    Posted in: Real Estate, Taxes
  • What taxes do you owe on a $13,000 gift?

    If I give someone a gift over $13,000, what taxes will each of us owe? — Margaret G., Raleigh, N.C.

    Good news about the oft-puzzling gift tax: Whatever the size of your gift, the recipient neither owes tax nor needs to report it. You, the giver, have to file Form 709 for a gift over the IRS' annual per-recipient limit ($13,000 in 2012 and rising to $14,000 next year). But you won't MORE

    Dec 25, 2012 6:30 AM ET
    Posted in: Family Money, Taxes
Help Desk

Got a question about your money? We want to hear it! Each week we're answering your questions on CNN, Headline News and

Your email or phone number won't be published; we'll use it to get in touch if we need more information about your question.
Help Desk Video
  • NEXT
    Not enough money in America's 401(k)s
    Despite the surging stock market bringing balances to record highs, the average Fidelity 401(k) account has less than $100,000 in it. That's just not enough. Play
  • NEXT
    Explaining Obama's myRA
    President Obama unveiled a new savings plan for retirement accounts, aimed at encouraging people to start building their nest egg. But how exactly does it work? Play
  • NEXT
    Tricks on how to save in your 20s
    Saving for your retirement in your 20s doesn't have to be a financial burden. Prioritizing your expenses is usually the first step in building a nest egg. Play
  • BACK
    Don't get fooled by Black Friday sales
    Here are some of the tricks that retailers use to make you think you're getting a deal. Keep an eye out for them while shopping this Black Friday. Play
Best Tips
Some of the nation's leading business owners, investors, and thinkers share their thoughts on rebuilding your wealth. More
These strategies can help you manage the challenges -- both emotional and financial -- of helping an aging parent from afar. More
You don't need to be fanatical to get to 780. Those in the know say these moves matter most. More
Featured Newsletters

Tips for saving and spending smarter.

Search This Column
View all entries from this: Week, Month
Help Desk
More help for your career, your investments and your budget.
Powered by VIP.