The Help Desk

Your tough questions. MONEY's smart answers.
Presented by

I'm on Social Security. What if I take a new job?

June 1, 2013: 6:30 AM ET

I'm 62 and just went on Social Security. If I take a high-paying job, what should I do? — Charlie Hadden, Clarkston, Mich.

Repay the money and withdraw your claim. Do it within a year of filing; you can reapply later, qualifying for higher benefits.

In case you can't or don't want to repay the money, tell Social Security about your job so your benefits can be adjusted. Before you reach the year of your full retirement age, the checks you're due are reduced $1 for every $2 you earn over a limit that's now $15,120; a hefty salary would cut your payments to zero. When you reach full retirement age, each month of unreturned checks will cut your permanent benefits about half a percentage point, says Robert Bruce, author of Social Security Inside Out.

Married? Definitely return the cash: Otherwise, dying before age 66 could cut your widow's survivors benefits up to 17.5%.

— Beth Braverman

Got a question for the Help Desk? Send it to

Posted in: Retirement, Taxes
  • Can my 11-year-old open an IRA?

    My 11-year-old earns money umpiring baseball games. Can he open an IRA? Will it affect his college aid? — Rick Gross, Avon, Conn.

    Assuming Junior is willing, a Roth IRA (which grows and can be tapped tax-free) is a home run. In 2013 he can put in the lesser of $5,500 or his earned income. Does he earn just a few hundred dollars? You'll need a firm with a low minimum, such MORE

    May 18, 2013 6:30 AM ET
  • How can I avoid state taxes if I retire overseas?

    If I retire overseas, can I lower my taxes by declaring residency in any state I want? — C. Czuchna, Gainesville, Va.

    Not quite. You can't just declare residency; you have to live there before taking off. Steps to show you've really moved to the no-income-tax state of your dreams (such as Florida, Nevada, or Texas): buying a home (and selling your old one), getting a driver's license, and registering to vote.

    Do MORE

    Apr 27, 2013 6:30 AM ET
    Posted in: Retirement, Taxes
  • Can I use 401(k) money tax-free to buy a home?

    Can I take money tax-free from my 401(k) for a down payment on a home? — Dev Ananth, Plano, Texas

    You may be able to pull money out, but you can't avoid taxes. And that's not the only downside.

    Most plans let you borrow half of your savings, or $50,000 (whichever is less); you'll repay that with after-tax dollars — not the untaxed dollars you contributed originally. Leave your job without repaying and MORE

    Apr 13, 2013 6:30 AM ET
  • Which contributions come out of my IRA first?

    I put tax-deductible and nondeductible money in my IRA. What comes out first? — Duane Hoffmeyer, Mesa, Ariz.

    Most money in traditional IRAs comprises tax-deductible contributions and any account earnings over the years, all of which is taxable when you pull the money out. You evidently also made nondeductible, after-tax contributions, which exit your IRA tax-free.

    To answer your question, the funds come out simultaneously. Add up your after-tax contributions. The percentage of MORE

    Mar 31, 2013 3:17 PM ET
    Posted in: Retirement, Taxes
  • How does divorce affect Social Security benefits?

    My husband and I are getting divorced after 24 years. I'm 59 and on disability; he's 65 and not yet retired. He says that after the divorce I can collect on his Social Security, which will be higher than my disability benefits. Is that correct? Also, would I be able to collect on his Social Security after his death? — Name withheld

    Based on your information you may be eligible for MORE

    Dec 31, 2012 6:30 AM ET
    Posted in: Family Money, Retirement
  • How do you get pension payout estimates?

    My husband was downsized a year ago. He is eligible to start taking a pension from his former company, but they refuse to give him any information with regard to projections. How do we decide when to start his pension if they won't tell him the difference in payout for year 62, 65, etc.? — M. Anderson

    If you haven't done so already, refer to the section in your husband's summary MORE

    Dec 26, 2012 6:30 AM ET
    Posted in: Retirement
  • Which are the best states for retirees?

    Which states are most tax-friendly for retirees? — Larry O.

    There are a lot of things to think about when choosing a place to retire, and state taxes are definitely worth considering. It's particularly useful to look at how states tax Social Security, pensions and IRA distributions, says Liane Warcup of Geneva, Ill.-based Clarus Financial Planning.

    For instance, Social Security benefits are federally taxed, but they are excluded at the state level in MORE

    Dec 19, 2012 6:30 AM ET
    Posted in: Retirement, Taxes
  • Can I deduct interest on a 401(k) loan to my business?

    Let's say I make a loan to my (or my wife's) business by borrowing from my 401(k) and using the money for business expenses. Is the interest the business pays back to my 401(k) plan tax deductible? — Michael R.

    The short answer is no, according to Myrna Mitnick, a senior tax manager at Baltimore, Md.-based CPA firm Leonard J. Miller & Associates. The IRS typically does allow businesses to deduct MORE

    Dec 14, 2012 6:30 AM ET
    Posted in: Retirement, Taxes
  • Should I buy additional credit for my pension?

    Should I purchase additional service credit to increase the final compensation for my pension plan? I'm currently 42 and plan to retire at 62. At that age, I will receive 81.5% of my $10,000-a-month income. I was told I could increase my final compensation by about 10% at the cost of $82,000 (which I plan to transfer from my 457 plan). Is this a good idea? – Name withheld

    Given your MORE

    Dec 12, 2012 6:30 AM ET
    Posted in: Investing, Retirement, Taxes
Help Desk

Got a question about your money? We want to hear it! Each week we're answering your questions on CNN, Headline News and

Your email or phone number won't be published; we'll use it to get in touch if we need more information about your question.
Help Desk Video
  • NEXT
    Not enough money in America's 401(k)s
    Despite the surging stock market bringing balances to record highs, the average Fidelity 401(k) account has less than $100,000 in it. That's just not enough. Play
  • NEXT
    Explaining Obama's myRA
    President Obama unveiled a new savings plan for retirement accounts, aimed at encouraging people to start building their nest egg. But how exactly does it work? Play
  • NEXT
    Tricks on how to save in your 20s
    Saving for your retirement in your 20s doesn't have to be a financial burden. Prioritizing your expenses is usually the first step in building a nest egg. Play
  • BACK
    Don't get fooled by Black Friday sales
    Here are some of the tricks that retailers use to make you think you're getting a deal. Keep an eye out for them while shopping this Black Friday. Play
Best Tips
Some of the nation's leading business owners, investors, and thinkers share their thoughts on rebuilding your wealth. More
These strategies can help you manage the challenges -- both emotional and financial -- of helping an aging parent from afar. More
You don't need to be fanatical to get to 780. Those in the know say these moves matter most. More
Featured Newsletters

Tips for saving and spending smarter.

Search This Column
View all entries from this: Week, Month
Help Desk
More help for your career, your investments and your budget.
Powered by VIP.