The Help Desk

Your tough questions. MONEY's smart answers.
Presented by

Can my 11-year-old open an IRA?

May 18, 2013: 6:30 AM ET

My 11-year-old earns money umpiring baseball games. Can he open an IRA? Will it affect his college aid? — Rick Gross, Avon, Conn.

Assuming Junior is willing, a Roth IRA (which grows and can be tapped tax-free) is a home run. In 2013 he can put in the lesser of $5,500 or his earned income. Does he earn just a few hundred dollars? You'll need a firm with a low minimum, such as Charles Schwab.

Don't worry about college. IRAs aren't used to set federal aid. Though about 260 schools doling out aid ask about IRAs, retirement money is counted only sometimes, such as when a wealthy family has split up assets, says publisher Mark Kantrowitz.

Your son may make too little to file taxes, says H&R Block's Gil Charney, but it's not a bad idea to save W-2s or 1099s proving earned income.

— Stephanie AuWerter

Got a question for the Help Desk? Send it to

  • Should I invest in real estate overseas?

    What are the advantages and disadvantages of real estate investments overseas? —DANIEL L., New York City

    Direct investment in foreign property, be it a mall or a second home, is a risky proposition. Sure, you could nab greater gains than in the U.S., should you be smart, knowledgeable, and lucky. But noncitizens can face extra expenses and red tape, and back in the U.S., you're subject to complex investment rules, warns Rapid MORE

    May 11, 2013 6:30 AM ET
    Posted in: Investing, Real Estate, Taxes
  • Will I owe taxes on gold and silver coins?

    Do you pay a tax on silver or gold coins when purchased or sold? What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of gold and silver coins as an investment? —Vernon

    When you buy coins, you may owe sales tax, depending on which state you buy in. But selling triggers a very different tax, says Rob Chapman, founder of Rochester, N.Y.-based advisory firm Compass Wealth. Because the IRS considers precious metals MORE

    Dec 24, 2012 6:30 AM ET
    Posted in: Investing, Taxes
  • Do I need to sell my mutual fund to capture its gain?

    My U.S. stock mutual fund has risen in value by 20% this year. I want to be sure to capture that 20% gain. Will the mutual fund's year-end capital gains distribution capture that 20% gain, or do I have to sell the mutual fund shares to do so? — Paul K.

    You have to sell your fund shares to capture that gain. Your fund realizes its own capital gains and losses MORE

    Dec 17, 2012 6:31 AM ET
    Posted in: Investing, Taxes
  • How can you avoid big fees for wealth management?

    I am a 56-year-old retired widower. I live off my monthly pension with built-in COLAs, but I also work full-time. My net worth is substantial, and the wealth managers I've interviewed have all provided different advice with big fees attached. I just want our investment to grow with as little risk as possible, without paying large fees. Can you give me advice or direction? – Name withheld

    Given how careful you've MORE

    Dec 13, 2012 6:30 AM ET
    Posted in: Investing
  • Should I buy additional credit for my pension?

    Should I purchase additional service credit to increase the final compensation for my pension plan? I'm currently 42 and plan to retire at 62. At that age, I will receive 81.5% of my $10,000-a-month income. I was told I could increase my final compensation by about 10% at the cost of $82,000 (which I plan to transfer from my 457 plan). Is this a good idea? – Name withheld

    Given your MORE

    Dec 12, 2012 6:30 AM ET
    Posted in: Investing, Retirement, Taxes
  • Can I make both pre- and post-tax contributions to a 401(k)?

    Can I invest both pre- and post-tax dollars in the same 401(k)? If so, how do I know what taxes I owe at withdrawal? — Kathy B.

    Whether or not you can invest both pre-tax and after-tax dollars in the same 401(k) depends on the plan itself. It's a safe bet that your employer's 401(k) plan permits pre-tax contributions, according to Kaye Thomas, who spent two decades as a tax lawyer MORE

    Dec 11, 2012 6:32 AM ET
    Posted in: Investing, Retirement, Taxes
  • Should I convert my daughter's UTMA to a 529 plan?

    After reading about Uniform Transfer to Minors Act (UTMA) accounts, I regret opening one for my 13-year-old daughter. As I understand it, her mutual fund UTMA will reduce her financial aid by a greater amount than if the money was in my name or in a 529 plan. My daughter has about $3,000 in the account. How can I transfer it into a 529 plan without being penalized on taxes? MORE

    Dec 10, 2012 6:30 AM ET
  • How do I buy an ETF cheaply?

    How would I purchase an ETF? What is the cheapest way to buy an ETF? – Name withheld

    Exchange traded funds (ETFs) are widely available from a variety of brokerage firms, says Roger Woodman, founder of Roger F. Woodman Jr. & Co., a financial advisory firm in Portland, Maine. Just open an account at a major online broker such as Fidelity, Vanguard, Charles Schwab, E*Trade, or TD Ameritrade, and you can MORE

    Dec 7, 2012 6:30 AM ET
    Posted in: Investing
  • How do I keep silver coins safe?

    When you buy silver coins and have them delivered, how is that shipment protected and insured? Can you have the coins delivered directly to a bank to be put directly into safe deposit boxes?—Name withheld

    When buying coins in precious metals, the seller will typically ship to any legitimate address, whether residential or commercial, and will fully insure the coins and replace the product should something happen in transit.

    Once the silver MORE

    Dec 3, 2012 6:29 AM ET
    Posted in: Family Money, Investing
Help Desk

Got a question about your money? We want to hear it! Each week we're answering your questions on CNN, Headline News and

Your email or phone number won't be published; we'll use it to get in touch if we need more information about your question.
Help Desk Video
  • NEXT
    Not enough money in America's 401(k)s
    Despite the surging stock market bringing balances to record highs, the average Fidelity 401(k) account has less than $100,000 in it. That's just not enough. Play
  • NEXT
    Explaining Obama's myRA
    President Obama unveiled a new savings plan for retirement accounts, aimed at encouraging people to start building their nest egg. But how exactly does it work? Play
  • NEXT
    Tricks on how to save in your 20s
    Saving for your retirement in your 20s doesn't have to be a financial burden. Prioritizing your expenses is usually the first step in building a nest egg. Play
  • BACK
    Don't get fooled by Black Friday sales
    Here are some of the tricks that retailers use to make you think you're getting a deal. Keep an eye out for them while shopping this Black Friday. Play
Best Tips
Some of the nation's leading business owners, investors, and thinkers share their thoughts on rebuilding your wealth. More
These strategies can help you manage the challenges -- both emotional and financial -- of helping an aging parent from afar. More
You don't need to be fanatical to get to 780. Those in the know say these moves matter most. More
Featured Newsletters

Tips for saving and spending smarter.

Search This Column
View all entries from this: Week, Month
Help Desk
More help for your career, your investments and your budget.
Powered by VIP.