The Help Desk

Your tough questions. MONEY's smart answers.
Presented by
Monthly Archives: April 2013
  • How can I avoid state taxes if I retire overseas?

    If I retire overseas, can I lower my taxes by declaring residency in any state I want? — C. Czuchna, Gainesville, Va.

    Not quite. You can't just declare residency; you have to live there before taking off. Steps to show you've really moved to the no-income-tax state of your dreams (such as Florida, Nevada, or Texas): buying a home (and selling your old one), getting a driver's license, and registering to vote.

    Do MORE

    Apr 27, 2013 6:30 AM ET
    Posted in: Retirement, Taxes
  • How much umbrella insurance do I need?

    How do I know whether my umbrella policy coverage is right? I don't want it to be too large or too small. — R. King, Tampa

    Base your umbrella policy—which insures you for amounts beyond the coverage of your other insurance — on the value of your assets. Why? In a lawsuit (say, after a serious collision), lawyers will aim for your available assets but probably settle for a comparable insurance amount. MORE

    Apr 20, 2013 6:30 AM ET
    Posted in: Family Money
  • Can I use 401(k) money tax-free to buy a home?

    Can I take money tax-free from my 401(k) for a down payment on a home? — Dev Ananth, Plano, Texas

    You may be able to pull money out, but you can't avoid taxes. And that's not the only downside.

    Most plans let you borrow half of your savings, or $50,000 (whichever is less); you'll repay that with after-tax dollars — not the untaxed dollars you contributed originally. Leave your job without repaying and MORE

    Apr 13, 2013 6:30 AM ET
  • Must I report interest on a loan to my child?

    I have made a formal loan to my adult child. Do I have to report the interest I receive as income? — J.H., Texas

    Yes, interest you earn on a personal loan is taxable and should be reported to the IRS. The figure goes on line 8a of your 1040; if all your taxable interest income in a year exceeds $1,500, you also have to file Schedule B, which records interest and MORE

    Apr 6, 2013 6:30 AM ET
    Posted in: Family Money, Taxes
Help Desk

Got a question about your money? We want to hear it! Each week we're answering your questions on CNN, Headline News and

Your email or phone number won't be published; we'll use it to get in touch if we need more information about your question.
Help Desk Video
  • NEXT
    Not enough money in America's 401(k)s
    Despite the surging stock market bringing balances to record highs, the average Fidelity 401(k) account has less than $100,000 in it. That's just not enough. Play
  • NEXT
    Explaining Obama's myRA
    President Obama unveiled a new savings plan for retirement accounts, aimed at encouraging people to start building their nest egg. But how exactly does it work? Play
  • NEXT
    Tricks on how to save in your 20s
    Saving for your retirement in your 20s doesn't have to be a financial burden. Prioritizing your expenses is usually the first step in building a nest egg. Play
  • BACK
    Don't get fooled by Black Friday sales
    Here are some of the tricks that retailers use to make you think you're getting a deal. Keep an eye out for them while shopping this Black Friday. Play
Best Tips
Some of the nation's leading business owners, investors, and thinkers share their thoughts on rebuilding your wealth. More
These strategies can help you manage the challenges -- both emotional and financial -- of helping an aging parent from afar. More
You don't need to be fanatical to get to 780. Those in the know say these moves matter most. More
Featured Newsletters

Tips for saving and spending smarter.

Search This Column
View all entries from this: Week, Month
Help Desk
More help for your career, your investments and your budget.
Powered by VIP.