The Help Desk

Your tough questions. MONEY's smart answers.
Presented by

How can I ensure that my autistic daughter is taken care of?

October 17, 2011: 5:05 AM ET

My 30-year-old daughter, who is mildly autistic, lives with my wife and me. She is employed by a nonprofit that hires the disabled, and makes about $25,000 a year, most of which I conservatively invest for her, since she'll never be a large earner. Otherwise I am her sole means of support. She has a younger sister who may eventually act as guardian. Health insurance is not a worry; since I am retired military and she is permanently disabled, she gets all of her healthcare for free on base. But I'd like to know how to ensure that she's always taken care of financially? – M.P., Fairfax Station, VA

The best answer is probably a special needs trust, also called a supplemental needs trust, says Christopher Waddell, a financial planner in Vienna, VA. It's intended to hold assets for the benefit of a disabled person to supplement any government benefits that might apply—and it's considered a "non-countable" asset, meaning that it won't disqualify your daughter for those benefits. You can set up a special needs trust now and designate the parts of your estate that should be awarded to that trust upon your death as well as an appointed person would handle the trust on behalf of your daughter after that time. "It would provide the infrastructure and administration that the parents are currently providing," he says. "And it wouldn't burden her sibling."

You can appoint your other daughter as the trustee, but it could be a lot of responsibility—and tedious administration—for a family member, depending on the size of the trust. Waddell typically suggests paying a corporate trustee to do the job, at a cost of about one percent of the assets per year. "I encourage people to name a loving relative as a trust 'protector' to provide oversight for a corporate trustee," Waddell says. "So the family is still in charge, but they don't have to be writing checks and filling out tax returns."

Being retired military, you might be able to have a special needs trust established for free through your local Judge Advocate General (JAG) office, Waddell says. That's definitely a good place to start, in any event.

--Kate Ashford

Got a question for the help desk? Send it to

Posted in: Family Money
Join the Conversation
Help Desk

Got a question about your money? We want to hear it! Each week we're answering your questions on CNN, Headline News and

Your email or phone number won't be published; we'll use it to get in touch if we need more information about your question.
Help Desk Video
  • NEXT
    Not enough money in America's 401(k)s
    Despite the surging stock market bringing balances to record highs, the average Fidelity 401(k) account has less than $100,000 in it. That's just not enough. Play
  • NEXT
    Explaining Obama's myRA
    President Obama unveiled a new savings plan for retirement accounts, aimed at encouraging people to start building their nest egg. But how exactly does it work? Play
  • NEXT
    Tricks on how to save in your 20s
    Saving for your retirement in your 20s doesn't have to be a financial burden. Prioritizing your expenses is usually the first step in building a nest egg. Play
  • BACK
    Don't get fooled by Black Friday sales
    Here are some of the tricks that retailers use to make you think you're getting a deal. Keep an eye out for them while shopping this Black Friday. Play
Best Tips
Some of the nation's leading business owners, investors, and thinkers share their thoughts on rebuilding your wealth. More
These strategies can help you manage the challenges -- both emotional and financial -- of helping an aging parent from afar. More
You don't need to be fanatical to get to 780. Those in the know say these moves matter most. More
Featured Newsletters

Tips for saving and spending smarter.

Search This Column
View all entries from this: Week, Month
Help Desk
More help for your career, your investments and your budget.
Powered by VIP.