The Help Desk

Your tough questions. MONEY's smart answers.
Presented by

How do I find a reputable financial planner?

September 28, 2011: 5:05 AM ET

We are looking for a financial planner. Is there a website that rates financial planners and shows if they are certified? If not, how do you find a good person? —D.R.H., Chicago

In addition to asking for word-of-mouth recommendations, you can start your search for a financial planner at any one of many websites. At and, you can look for planners that charge fees for their services. The Financial Planning Association ( has a searchable database of thousands of planners. And the Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards has upgraded its online search service to help you find a certified financial planner (CFP): At, you can check that a planner is certified, as well as look up areas of specialization, minimum asset requirements, and method of compensation: fee only, commissions, or a combination.

Once you have some names, you should interview a couple of prospective planners to see if you're a good match. "We think it's important before you commit to working with a financial planner that you do your homework," says Kevin Keller, CEO of the CFP Board of Standards. Ask the planners how they work with clients, how frequently they'll be in touch, and what they charge.

Most importantly, see what questions planners ask of you. CFP's are trained to analyze your finances from a holistic view, and their questions should reflect that approach. What's your risk tolerance? How many years do you have to save for college? When do you hope to retire? How much insurance do you have? "Even if you have an army of brokers and accountants and insurance agents, you need a general to command that," says Keller.

Certified financial planners must take courses covering investments, taxes, insurance, retirement, and estate planning, pass a rigorous exam, have practiced for at least three years, and abide by a code of ethics that includes acting in your financial interest. Other designations that require experience and education include certified public accountant/personal financial specialist (CPA/PFS), chartered financial analyst (CFA), and chartered financial consultant (ChFC).

—Allan Chernoff

Got a question for the help desk? Send it to

Posted in: Family Money, Investing
Join the Conversation
Help Desk

Got a question about your money? We want to hear it! Each week we're answering your questions on CNN, Headline News and

Your email or phone number won't be published; we'll use it to get in touch if we need more information about your question.
Help Desk Video
  • NEXT
    Not enough money in America's 401(k)s
    Despite the surging stock market bringing balances to record highs, the average Fidelity 401(k) account has less than $100,000 in it. That's just not enough. Play
  • NEXT
    Explaining Obama's myRA
    President Obama unveiled a new savings plan for retirement accounts, aimed at encouraging people to start building their nest egg. But how exactly does it work? Play
  • NEXT
    Tricks on how to save in your 20s
    Saving for your retirement in your 20s doesn't have to be a financial burden. Prioritizing your expenses is usually the first step in building a nest egg. Play
  • BACK
    Don't get fooled by Black Friday sales
    Here are some of the tricks that retailers use to make you think you're getting a deal. Keep an eye out for them while shopping this Black Friday. Play
Best Tips
Some of the nation's leading business owners, investors, and thinkers share their thoughts on rebuilding your wealth. More
These strategies can help you manage the challenges -- both emotional and financial -- of helping an aging parent from afar. More
You don't need to be fanatical to get to 780. Those in the know say these moves matter most. More
Featured Newsletters

Tips for saving and spending smarter.

Search This Column
View all entries from this: Week, Month
Help Desk
More help for your career, your investments and your budget.
Powered by VIP.